Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Double in Quassy - Say What?

A few weeks ago, August 23, 2015 seemed so far away.  That is until opening my Training Peaks account this week and the number 9 was staring at me.  How in the heck did we get to a single-digit countdown?   So here it is...the last nine weeks before Ironman Copenhagen. It's on!

As Mallorca 70.3 was a test for traveling overseas and the new bike (a few hiccups; see prior post), I selected Challenge Quassy as a big volume weekend on a course that has always kicked my ass.  Challenge Quassy, in Middleburry, CT (look on a map) is a mini mecca for triathletes from around the area.  Annually a large number of athletes come for a serving of the difficult Olympic (OLY) course or the well, humbling half iron course.  And there are a few insane people who opt for both courses; I was only partially insane by trying the OLY and the Aqua-Bike (swim and bike only) on the half course.  The race starts and ends in an amusement park which is kinda fun in its own way.   It also served as the USAT Regional Age Group Championship which meant that I had double duty as chair of the Region; racer and "worker" at our tent and during the awards ceremony.   Cutting to the chase, I was sucker-punched and spit out over that June weekend.  But with all good tales, I am here to tell it...  In summary

* OLY Race:  Decent swim, solid bike, and I actually ran the run.  All in, a solid day with a PR on the course (if you insist on my time, look it up)

* Half Race:  decent swim, a little off and blinded by the sun.  Aborted bike mid-way through.  Not fully recovered from day before.  

The OLY Course - Saturday
Thecourse was pretty much as I remembered it to be.  Hilly.  Even the swim.  I lined up to the far right of my age group (the semi-old guys) and dove into the water.  My goal was to try and find feet (of another competitor) and follow bubbles so not to have to sight.  As I glided through the water and focused on turning the hips, catching bubbles, I felt smooth...and pretty fast...until the turn when I started to swim directly into the rising morning sun....She looked, I blinked and went off course.  Luckily I noticed this quickly and start to breathe to my left (those who breathe on their right side, like me, have a harder time seeing anything when looking into the sun).  Back on course, I started to pass people in the two waves ahead of me.  Back to shore in a solid time.  Out of the water and onto the bike.

Every time I ride this course, whether in a race or training camp, I forget how hard, but amazing, it really is.  The roads dish up everything from short climbs (many of them), to fast downhills and flats, to very challenging climbs which some people walk up.  Within the first 10 mins or so, I cam across my friend Haggai (a few waves before me) and pulled up close, but not in the drafting zone, so that we could chat.  Haggai played cat/mouse, him passing me at times to say something, me coming back and chatting some more.  The 8 or so miles Haggai and I rode together was one of the highlights of the day.  However, after a bit, I needed to say adieu and rode off (saying catching you on the run as I it the hills).  The race is situated smack in the middle of Litchfield County, CT,  Known for its well hills.  While I love this course and after 3-4 times riding it (either in races or training camps), know when to push and when I can ease back., it simply is an ass kicker.  There are several steep climbs and some fast downhills where you can get up to speeds greater than 45 MPH.  The only issue I had while riding was the terrible conditions the roads were in from the winter.  Choppy, broken up and at times teeth chattering made the ride a tad slower than it should have been.   Heading back to the amusement park, I felt good and was ready to run.

Like the ride, the run also takes you around the neighborhood hills.  Immediately the run didn't feel great and I just could not get a rhythm going.  Earl was standing on the top of a downhill (the place he likes to perch himself as we'll be back in a few miles heading the opposite direction) and said nice job (on the bike), now run.  I nod and think to myself, I wish.  Down the hill I go hoping the legs move.  The heat isn't too bad, but my heart rate is higher than I want it to be.  Chugging along, I hit the first hill and opt to run walk it; running more than walking and passing a few folks.  Another quick flat until the biggest hill of the day.  Yup, walking this one too; why waste energy when I can walk faster than trying to run it.  At around mile 3 my legs finally felt like they were coming to life and my run speed started to pick-up.  Zooming and passing people, I felt good...until I didn't;  at about mile 5, I felt a bit off and hit to porta john hoping a quick relief would spell relief. Onward...The downhill at the beginning was now an uphill with Earl once again perched at the top trying to motivate us to the top.  Up and over and onto the finish.  Done, I then rooted the rest of the Tailwind Endurance crew to the finish line.  

The rest of the day, I spent with my USAT Chair duties working our booth and handing out awards to the age-groups.  In hindsight, this probably wasn't the smartest move as I was on my feet and not resting for the next day.  Oh well.

Sunday:  Half Aqua Bike
I believe on omens and should have sensed something was looming when I went to the car at 5:15am and immediately dropped my one nutrition bottle.  Gone.  I started to call teammates to see if anyone had extra; finally Earl to the rescue once again.  

The swim (1.2 miles) has me start with other Aqua-bikers, a few of the women and another group (a lot of people).  It started like the day before with me picking off people and following feet and bubbles.  When we made the turn and headed into the sun, I veered off course even more than the day before.  Once I saw how off I was, I pushed hard to get back onto the buoy line and find more feet and bubbles.  Back to shore in a decent, but not a PR time.  Time to get onto the bike. 

Getting out of my full-sleeve wetsuit (I wore my sleeveless the day before) was harder than the day before (normally, I don't wear a watch when using a full-sleeve suit as I cannot get the suit over the watch).  Finally getting the sucker off, I jump onto the bike and go.  Earl told me to top my power out at 165 (175 on hills) and use the course as a training day (knowing that I didn't have to run the half marathon when I got off).  The half course mirrors the OLY one, but we have an added 25-miles with, you guessed it, hills including one seven-mile climb which isn't steep, but just long.  As my wave started near the back (but not the very back), the field wasn't that crowded, but I started to pick off people who did not know how to manage the course.  Following my mantra of saying thank you to every volunteer - especially the cops -- I kept on chugging along.  

Turning the corner, the seven-mile climb appears.  Ready....the miles start to tick off, and am feeling ok, but not great.  Half way through the climb, start to cramp.  Not in my legs (which I would expect), this one concerned me as it started in my lower back and started to creep into my midsection and arm.  Pulling to the side of the road, I try stretching to shake out the cramp.  Feeling ok, I hop back on and started to climb some more.  3/4 of the way up, the cramp is not going away.  I see the top and the first aid station and pull to the side.  

Decision time.  Should I push through this?  Can I make it through the next section of 24-hilly miles?  This is when the "smart" and "logical"  Justin takes over from the "stubborn" me.  After speaking with the doctor at the aid station who advised not to continue (suggesting that I am not recovered enough from the day before), the smart Justin opts to call it a day.  I head over to the aid station captain, tell her my decision and ask to call a SAG wagon to bring me back to the start.  Along the way, I borrow a phone and email Earl with my decision.  


At the end of the weekend, I swam 2.1 miles, biked 52 miles and ran 6.2.  Not that bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment